onsdag 2 december 2009

St. Peter's Winter Ale 500ml, 6.5% - England


I'm not a big fan of St. Peter's ales. The price is high and the bottle looks fancy, so you usually get high expectations, but rarely get surprised.

Poured very fast with no head. Very dark, Jägermeister black color.

Sour, anise and licorice smell with a bit of sweet toffee.

Strong, roasted malt and smokey taste, with a hitch of coffee and a bitter and spicy after taste.

Not too bad for a Christmas ale, I think it has all characteristics and forms that a Holiday ale should have. Perhaps the price is the only thing that puts people off from buying it this year.

Btw, I just realized that the photo is a bit oblique, sorry about that.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Interesting review, I don't agree on the high price-part though... I don't think it's more expensive than other quality Christmas-beers on Systembolaget. For example we have Anchor Christmas beer which is a 355 ml bottle for the price of 24.90, Ayinger Winter-Bock for 29.90 or Jämtlands Julöl for 25.90. Or Underlig Jul for 45.90.

    It's mainly the bland semi-dark lagers which are cheaper than this one.

    25.90 for a great English old ale/winter ale in a 500 ml bottle is a fair price in my eyes. Sorry for the lame rhyme. :)

    Anyway, keep up the good work with the blog!

    Cheers!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hi Fredik,

    You know, I actually looked at the wrong item when I was checking the price on the receipt from Systembolaget, lol. My bad!

    I still have quite a few Christmas beers to try, so we'll see who will be the winner.

    Thanks for you comment!

    Best Regards

    Yury

    SvaraRadera